This morning I woke up to a winter wonderland outside. Fresh snow 13cm’s deep on the front lawn, backyard and basically everywhere one could look! There was snow on the roof, snow covering the footpaths and snow covering the entire road.
This morning the snow melted my heart with it’s softness and delicate beauty… It is really so so beautiful to see, touch and experience.
Breakfast is always a time of the day that I look forward to and love. It is a time for warming our digestive system, kindling our inner fire and breaking the fast that we gave our body while we slept.
Ayurvedic Porridge is my go to. I have adapted the original Ayurvedic porridge recipes that my teachers tought me over the years to suit my body, digestion and the food quality and lifestyle we have available to us today in modern day society.
Traditionally Ayurvedic porridge is often made with lots of ghee, un-homogenised organic milk, semolina and jaggery to sweeten. These are all beautiful ingredients and substances in their essence, for the qualities and nourishment they represent however in this day and age the quality of these ingredients is not always reliable and for many can create feelings of bloating, congestion and heaviness after eating.
The recipe that I made this morning is very very similar to the Ayurvedic Porridge recipes in my E-book, (which is full of recipes and lifestyle wisdom that is sugar-free, vegan-friendly & gluten-free!) For those who have my book, you can use the same recipe as in the book however adapt it slightly to add these new elements of coconut milk and pumpkin seed butter!
This porridge recipe is VEGAN. GLUTEN-FREE. WHEAT-FREE & DAIRY-FREE! :) …Yes, I really just want you to feel FREE to enjoy your day and your tummy after eating it!
So, let’s get to the recipe!!!
Delicious Coconut Quinoa Porridge Recipe
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes
- 2 cups of boiling water (boil in your kettle)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of cardamon powder (or 3 whole pods)
- a pinch of fennel seeds
- a pinch of himalayan pink salt
- 5-10 juicy thompson raisins
- 3 blanched almonds
- 1 tsp of pumpkin seed (or almond) butter
- 2 tblsp of coconut milk
- your love!!!
- On a medium heat melt the coconut oil in the bottom of your porridge pot
- Add the quinoa flakes and stir continusly, toasting the flakes in the coconut oil and bringing out their goodness and flavour! (Don’t leave the flakes or they will burn.)
- Once toasted to your satisfaction, stand back and pour boiling/hot water into the pot to moisten and hydrate the flakes. Stir continusly until the water and flakes are mixed.
- Add your spices; cinnamon, cardamon & fennel and stir.
- Add the raisons and stir for another 5-10 mins until the quinoa flakes are cooked and the porridge is a smooth creamy consistency.
- Once ready, take away from the heat and serve in your favourite breakfast bowl.
- Pour coconut milk around the bowl, add a dollop of pumpkin seed butter and finish with a few blanched almonds for extra yumminess!
Voila! You did it! A delicious sugar-free and vegan wholesome nourishing brekky for Wintery mornings in the snow OR summery mornings at the beach! :)
…That’s the beauty of porridge, you can eat it any time of the year and any time of day for that matter!
With love from snowy Toronto, Canada!
Oh, and if you want to dive into more wholesome simple recipes this festive season, make sure you check out my 108 page E-book, Simple Ayurveda in the Kitchen! It is a complete guide to intuitive eating, digestion, food combining, self-love and Simple Ayurvedic Cooking to suit this modern day and age!