Besan (chickpea flour) pancakes are a beautiful Ayurvedic meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
Particularly grounding and yummy for a light breakfast.
Simple to make and a great source of protein to support and nourish your tissues, while being light and easy to digest. Perfect!
Simple Besan Flour Pancake Recipe:
- 1 cup of Besan Flour (Hint: …It looks yellow.)
- 2.5 cups of filtered water
- 1/2 a small Red Onion chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp of Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp of Himalayan good quality salt.
- Some black pepper to taste
- A mixing bowl & wooden spoon.
- A good quality stainless steel, cast iron or ‘healthy’ non-stick pan. (Important not to use teflon or poor quality as you will end up eating the toxic plastic or Aluminium which is not worth having for breakfast!)
- Take your mixing bowl and add the Besan flour. With your wooden spoon, smooth out any lumps and bumps in the flour as much as possible.
- Add your water and stir into a smooth batter.
- Add your Onion, Cumin, Salt & Pepper.
- Start heating your pan and add approx 1/2 tsp of Ghee.
- When the Ghee is warm, pour some of the mixture into the pan to create your first pancake. Yay! Let it cook until it bubbles around the edges and in the middle slightly, then flip it over.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides…
- Serve with some fresh greens, some Chutney or a side of steamed vegies for something more substantial.
Delicious, nutritious, QUICK, simple, yummy, healthy Besan Flour Ayurvedic Pancakes that the whole family will enjoy!
(Note: Add more water if needed to make your desired consistency. Coconut oil can be used as an alternative to Ghee, however has a different effect on the body and different taste. This recipe really lends itself to Ghee!)
Enjoy with love & gratitude!
“Let thy food be thy medicine.”