Ingredients: Split Moong Dhal, Basmati rice, Cummin, Coriander, Coconut oil or Ghee, Himalayan Salt, Spinach! So easy to digest, nourishing & in Ayurvedic texts said to be a ‘complete protein’!
1. Add 1 tblsp Ghee or Coconut oil
2. Once melted, add 1/4 teaspoon of Cummin seeds & Coriander seeds. Allow to toast.
3. Add 1/2 a chopped Onion, a few slices of chopped Ginger & 1/2 a clove of chopped Garlic & toast. (Garlic & Onion is optional).
4. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder & stir.
5. Add 2 cups of soaked & rinsed lentils.
6. Add 1 cup of rice.
7. Stir & toast in the spices for a few minutes to lighten the lentils & rice for improved digestion.
8. Add 8 cups of boiling water & stir. Allow to gently boil.
9. Add a pinch of Himalayan salt
10. Continue to stir regularly
11. When Rice & Moong become creamy, turn off the heat and add some freshly chopped Spinach and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes before serving. Adding the spinach last will ensure that it stays fresh and full of life force!
Serve with some chutney, fresh coriander on top & a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to nourish all the six tastes and promote great digestion.
(Note: Add more water to make your Kitchari lighter and more cleansing, and slightly less if you want a heavier and more grounding meal.)